Sunday, January 1, 2012

Scrappy Yo-Yo quilt

My latest project is a scrappy yo-yo quilt.  I plan on doing this entirely by hand.  I have been cutting out circles and squares and over Christmas weekend I got some blocks completed.

I am utilizing scrap fabrics for both the squares and the yo-yos.  For the squares, I am cutting out 3.5" squares for a finished size of 3".  I am penciling in the seam lines so that I can hand-piece the quilt top.
For the yo-yos, I am cutting out circles in 4 different sizes.  I am using cups and lids for templates to trace the circles onto the fabric to be cut out.  (Let me add that I have never been one to use commercially-made fabric-marking utensils.  I use a plain ol' #2 pencil and for dark fabrics I use a white map pencil.)
I apologize, but I don't feel like making an actual tutorial for yo-yo making.  It is very simple and there are a ton of great tutorials on the web.  Some points to remember are to use a strong thread (I am using hand-quilting thread), and to make sure it is well-secured since it is going on a quilt where it should stay for many, many years.
I then attach the completed yo-yos to the fabric squares.  I center the yo-yo on the square, and using a hand-quilting thread (it is a heavier thread and I like the look of it), stitch it down close to the edge.  If you desire, you could instead use a blind-stitch applique method, but I really like the way it looks to do it my way.
Some of my circles.
A few squares.
Some of the completed blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment