Tuesday, August 30, 2011

3 quilts done!

I have finished my 3 quilts of the summer.  I have a Singer home sewing machine and I have done straight quilting with a walking foot and free-motion quilting with a darning foot, and have done queen-sized quilts with no problem.  Once I learned how to free-motion, I have not done any straight quilting because free-motion is so much more fun and I want to become really good at it!  The point of this post is to review my thread choices.  Now, I have not experimented with very many threads at this point.  With these 3 quilts, I used Gutterman (spelling?) all-purpose and Coats all-purpose threads to do high-speed free-motion quilting.  Now, the Coats thread does create a lot of dust, so I make a point to dust about every 5th bobbin change.  I also had a partial spool of a Coats variegated quilting thread that worked well.  It has been a while since I have done free-motion quilting so I don't remember how well some threads worked that I used previously.  For my 3rd quilt this summer, I had a spool of Sulky Blendables quilting thread.  I forked up about $5/spool + shipping charges for 2 more spools so I would have enough.  This thread looks nice on the quilt, but I found that it was frequently breaking at the high speeds of free-motion quilting.  It was a disappointment.  For my next quilt, I might branch out and try new threads, or I might use the plain and simple Coats, which is what I have most often used in the past.  For now, though, I am taking a break from the quilts to make some bedskirts and pillow shams for my aunts.  My cousin needs shams and a bedskirt to match his new Aggie quilt! 
In the meantime, I will be busy tackling my last semester of nursing school!  Pictures of my latest projects soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment